One of the buzzwords we marketers can’t get away from is martech. It has become a game changer in the marketing world by giving us the technology we need to finally add some ROI and KPIs to things we couldn’t before. Sales needs to know how many leads we got this month? No problem. CFO wants to know how many impressions their ad spend received? Easy. Client wants to know how the value of their coverage? Bring it.
With more than 3,500 martech platforms across six categories (and many more subcategories) to choose from, marketing has grown in both sophistication and importance—helping to justify your marketing dollars in the process.
So, how do you navigate this massive landscape to find the platform that best suits your business needs and goals? There’s no magic formula, of course, but it’s always good to learn from those who have gone before you. At Media Frenzy Global, we’ve experienced our fair share of what works and what doesn’t.
We use martech every chance we get. It helps make us accountable and run campaigns with agility—all while freeing up a little more time to find the next great martech tool (or take a much-needed coffee break). Here’s our list of the top seven tools we couldn’t live without.
- Monitoring tools. There are many to choose from in this category, but our favorite is Meltwater. It would be impossible to manually monitor coverage for all clients on a daily basis. Thanks to Meltwater, we get brief notifications that alert us when something about them is published.
- Advertising platforms. This choice definitely depends on the size of your company and budget, but we’ve had a lot of success using Google AdWords to run significant PPC campaigns. It always helps with you play by Google’s rules, right?
- Marketing automation platforms. This is another one of those buzzwords we can’t get away from, but it’s definitely one of the most important tools a marketer can use. The most common and easiest to use is HubSpot. I’m honestly not sure how we would get anything done these days without HubSpot’s help.
- Email marketing platforms. Not every company needs the robust features of a full-blown nurturing platform like HubSpot. Sometimes a simpler tool like MailChimp can deliver great results.
- SEO tools. One of our most important tools is SEMRush. We wouldn’t be able to guide our digital campaigns and content the way we do without knowing what keyword lanes are worth going after.
- IP trackers. One of the best ways to build up your list of prospects is to know who exactly is visiting your site. We’ve had great success using Leadlander to build our databases and begin reaching prospects with the right content.
- Web analytics tools. Not only do you need to know who is coming to your site, you need to know what they’re doing once they get there. We like to take it old school and use Google Analytics to help decipher which pages and conversation points are working best to determine web and content changes moving forward.
I could go on for days, but I’ll stop there.
It’s a crazy martech world out there, but discovering the most useful tools for your business can really help to harness your media frenzy™.